Women in Switzerland earn 18% less on average than men. There are various reasons for this: occupational status, years of service, education, region, economic sector, etc. These criteria usually explain around 60% of the salary gap. An in-depth analysis can determine if the remaining 40% gap could be partially due to discrimination.
Are you sure that there is no salary discrimination in your organisation?
Salary analyses benefit employees and companies alike. By conducting a salary analysis, your company can position itself as an attractive employer for new potential employees, and current employees feel fairly treated. Additionally, any company bidding for public service contracts in Switzerland is required to provide proof that there is no wage discrimination in their organisation.
Feasible starting at 50 employees
Statistical salary analyses can be conducted for companies with at least 50 employees – in any sector.
The Swiss parliament is currently considering whether salary analyses should be required for companies with at least 100 full-time employees.
Your salary analysis benefits
- Your company will receive a confirmation that it complies with legally required wage equality (depending on results).
- You are able to accurately identify which employee groups may require salary adjustments.
- Your company can enhance its attractiveness as an employer.
- You can increase awareness for equal opportunities in your organisation and detect possible biases in the area of salary setting.
Salary Analysis in 3 Steps
The Competence Centre of Diversity & Inclusion (CCDI) of the University of St. Gallen reviews the salaries of employees to identify any wage differences between men and women that are not readibly explainable. The basis for this analysis is the equal pay tool of the Swiss federal governement (Logib). CCDI offers a Salary Analysis which integrates additional criteria that could provide an explanation for any identified salary differences. This salary analysis is carried out in three steps:
- Data is first analysed along to the legally defensible criteria provided in Logib (e.g. education level and professional experience). If the resulting discrimination coefficient is less than 5% (target defined by the federal government), a seal of approval is issued, confirming that salaries in the organisation adhere to the policy anchored in the Swiss federal constitution „equal pay for work of equal value“. This certification can be used for internal as well as external communications.
- After this, additional legally defensible criteria (e.g. field of activity) are used to accurately identify the cause for any wage differences between men and women that cannot be readily explained.
- Further criteria that may be able to explain wage differences, but which are by nature discriminating (e.g. nationality and family status), are then taken into account. Companies can thereby identify potential unconscious biases and areas for action in their organisations.
Deliverables by CCDI
You will receive a report with the results of the wage regressions along with explanations. We also provide a list of the specific wage outliers for further investigation.
If the results of the salary analysis are under the tolerance threshold of 5% as defined by the Swiss federal government, your company will receive the “We pay fair” seal of approval (certification).
We can also conduct other specific salary analyses upon further consultation. This occurs on an as-needed basis and for an extra fee.
Deliverables by Client
The anonymised data sets of all employees are exported from your company’s HR-management software (e.g. SAP; time requirement ca. 6-8 hours). The data are then saved to a local server of the University of St. Gallen. Only the project team members have access to the data.
The salary analysis is the ideal supplement to participating in the St. Gallen Diversity Benchmarking, because the same data set is used for both. This means that after collecting and delivering data only once, your company can receive the results of the salary analysis as well as an objective expert assessment of where your organisation stands in comparison to other peer companies in the area of diversity and inclusion.
The cost of the salary analysis depends on the desired scope and scale. Please contact us for an individual offer. We look forward to hearing from you!